Saturday, June 03, 2006

And so it begins...

5.30.06
Went to see Nine Inch Nails today. It was really great to see Colorado's beauty one last time. Here's a picture from up on the rocks. The next morning, I'll be leaving to Ireland.


5.31.06
The feeling has finally hit me. Once I walked through the gate at DIA, said my goodbyes, and was let off the leash. It spread through me like a slow growing warmth, like I just took a shot of some hardcore vodka. I couldn't stop from grinning. Every step I took was one step closer to anywhere but here! I have just taken my first step off the enormous abyss of the unknown adventure before me.


My first flight out of Denver was AMerican Airlines flight 1492...for those history buffs, thats the year christopher columus sailed the ocean blue and came upon one hell of a discovery! What a weird coincedence. I wonder what my discovery will be?

6.1-2
Just after trying a "snack box" that my dad highly recommended (fried chicken and fries,)I ran into my first drunken Irishman in Dublin today. He was rambling to us about how his wife and himself were arguing and she kicked him out of the house. He was obviously upset with his usage of the word fuck, or fuugghhkkinnn. Anyway, he was looking for a place to stay but we had to let him down because we were just travelling through. We could barely understand him, his accent was so thick. Later that night, we met Jimmy at Oliver Gogarty's Pub (it's also the hostel we're staying in.) We were looking for things to do that night and found a flyer that said PUB CRAWL....meet in front of Trinity College at 8pm. So we went, not knowing what we were getting ourselves into. It was great. It turns out that this guy and his friends created this "Backpackers Pub Crawl" business and are in with the local bartenders so they get good deals. We hit up 5 different pubs. They were all so unique and Mike, our Canadian tour guide, explained the history significance of the pub. Sorry, I can't remember all of the names, but one was called Bruxelles. One had a whole viking theme, from when the vikings raided and took over Ireland. We had an hour at each pub before moving on to the next one. The beer here is soooo good. Jimmy and I actually tried an "Oyster Stout," fermented with real oysters for quite a unique taste. I did it just so I could say that I've tried an Oyster Stout. Mike tried a Strawberry Lager which was amazing. It was even strawberry color, but it was a beer.
***there is a large spire that was constructed a few years ago in the center of Dublin, right next to the Liffy River. Jimmy explained to me that many of the locals don't like it. They refer to it as the "Stiffy on the Liffy."

6.3.06

Jamison Whiskey tour. This was a very cool tour because not only did we learn how whiskey was made, but learn about much of the Irish history and how whiskey has greatly developed the Ireland we see today. I found out that they feed the spent barly, after it has been soaked, to the livestock throughout the country. That explains why the cattle here are so happy and chilled out. Another cool history fact is that at the end of the fermenting process (years in a barrell,) there is a tester, or "tax man" who judges the strength of the liquor and decides if it is safe to sell to the public. He pours the whisky onto some gunpowder and lights it on fire. If the color of the flame burns orange, it's too weak. If the color burns blue, it's perfect. If the gunpowder explodes, then the whiskey is too strong and cannot be sold to the public. So instead of throwing it away, they bottled it up and gave it to all the workers!

Guinness Factory tour. This was quite interesting as well...........................drank on the top of the observation tower and could see all of Dublin.

On the walk back, I came across a man in his backyard driveway who
was chiselling gravestones. I thought it was an awesome photograph shot, so I sneaked up behind him and waited to say anything bc I didn't want to stun him when he's chiselling someones name. He finally stopped and I introduced myself. He was very friendly. Apparently it takes him 2 whole days just to do one grave! and the yard was full of them. I asked if I could get a photo of him. Got a good one too. I said gooday and that he has a very unique talent to carve that fast a accurate, then went on my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home